Over the years, Quickbooks has gained a solid reputation as one of the most robust business finance software packages around. Despite its rich feature set, it also continues to be one of the easiest programs in the category to use, with an intuitive UI and plenty of room for personalization.
- Use the program preferences. Sure, the setup wizard will help you prepare a good chunk of the settings you’ll need to customize Quickbooks for your organization, but it’s rarely enough. There are a ton more things, like default accounts for various banking transactions and currencies you deal with, that you’ll need to set up in order to maximize its usefulness.
- Learn the keyboard shortcuts. Quickbooks comes with tons of keyboard shortcuts. Familiarize yourself with the ones you’ll use most and save yourself a lot of time while working with it.
- Turn on “Class Tracking.” Classes let you categorize various elements of the business, allowing you track numbers and generate reports by those individual groupings. If you want to identify areas of the business that perform better than others, this will be of immense value.
- Customize the icon bar. QuickBooks allows users to customize the icon bar, replacing the functions available with ones that better suit their needs. Even better, you can revise the icon, label and description for each.
- Export to Excel for complex data manipulation. As good as Quickbooks is, it’s still no match to Excel when it comes to manipulating and formatting data. Not to worry, though — it allows for exporting data directly to an Excel workbook.